Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Monday Night Muck Em

There were 14 runners in last nights game.  My son had came home with a red see through visor Sunday night.  I had mentioned to him that I should wear it to the poker game on Monday.  As I was getting ready to leave yesterday, he hands me the visor.  So, I wore it.  There were a few comments as people rolled into the game.  I'm sure I looked pretty goofy.  One person said I needed a band around my sleeve and I would look like a real dealer.

The game took off and 2 of the players at my table were winning all of the pots.  My hole cards were lousy so I started waiting for a good hand.  Then I noticed the hands that were winning were low.  I finally stayed in a hand with a 2 3 as everybody was keeping it friendly.  The flop came out 4 5 Q rainbow.  There was a min bet in front of me so I followed with a call.  Everybody else folded.  The turn was a 3.  I knew it didn't help me yet.  The other player bet a little bigger this time.  The 3 gave me additional outs so I made the call.  A 2 fell on the river.  I was concerned about the other player having AQ at this time, but his bet cried that he didn't.  I raised and he tanked for a bit before folding. 

The next hand of importance came when I was dealing.  I had KQ off and everybody folded to me.  I called, the SB called and the BB checked.  Flop was A J 10 with 2 hearts.  My Q was a heart.  I bet and SB raised.  BB called.  I went all in.  SB called and BB tanked for a while before mucking.  We turned over our cards.  He had A 10 and missed catching either of those for a boat.  The BB turned over his cards.  He had A 10 as well.  I did catch runner runner hearts to make a flush to better my made straight.

I was now sitting with a good sized stack to go to break with.  Then I got KK.  There was a decent raise before me.  His raising range was fairly large but I figured he would follow me if I put him to the test for all of his chips.  Another shorter stack called and so did he.  I was up against Q 10 off and A Q off.  An 8 9 J Ace came out on the flop and turn to cripple me right before break. 

I added on for 3000 chips to give myself a chance after break.  After break I pulled a couple risky bluffs that worked out and built my chip stack to about even with the rest of the table.  About that time the other table lost a few players and we combined tables. 

One person went out on the first hand at the final table.  A few hands later I look down at 99 in the SB.  I had to fold them 3 times earlier in the game as somebody would always 3 bet me when I had this particular hand.  The blinds were high enough that I was making a stand this time.  There was one caller from early position and everybody else had folded.  I bet half my stack showing that I was pot committing myself.  BB folded and the other player called.  The flop fell low, like I hoped it would.  I went all in.  He called with a 7 8 suited.  His suit was not on the board, nor did he have a pair or a draw.  That bluff I pulled on him a few weeks ago worked to my advantage this time. 

Shortly after we made the money.  One of the players had went all in several times when he was getting low on chips.  I spotted this early but never had a calling hand.  I was in the BB and he tried it again from the SB.  I had J 9 off suit.  I called.  He said good call and rolled over 9 4 off suit.  He caught a 4 on the turn but a fourth suited card fell on the river giving me a flush as well as taking him out.

Third place went out a few hands later and we were heads up.  I was a chip underdog at this point and the blinds were high.  I knew I needed to play really aggressive to have a chance.  It made it easy that I kept catching hands.  I got drew out on a couple times.  We went back and forth for a while then we found the hand that would end the game.  She went all in with K 10.  I called with AJ suited.  An ace off the flop sealed the deal and I am now have an extra 170 in my pocket. 

2 comments:

  1. In the hand where you had 2/3 and a 4 5 Q came on the board then a 2 then a 3. You really got lucky in that hand. You were worried about AQ but any Ace would make a straight. My guess is he put you on a 6 and folded the A because of the way you played the hand. Out of curiosity where are you playing at? Are these all live games or are they online as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He may have put me on a 6. The way be normally plays he more than likely had high cards or a pocket pair lower than a queen. If he would have had an ace queen his bet sizing would have been larger. This was at a live game that I normally play at. I play online as well, but don't post as many of those hands.

    Thanks for the comments. By looking more deeply at this 1 hand I can probably narrow this guys range down a little more next time we play.

    ReplyDelete