Thursday, August 7, 2014

Two Nights of Poker

The night before last, I was tired after work.  All day long I was thinking that I would put seat belt assembly's in the pick up I had just bought.  The ones that were in there were locked up as the pick up had been in an accident.  My wife was going to the studio to work out from 5:30 to 6:30 that night and I was in charge of the kids.  During that time, I decided that I was too tired (lazy) to work on that after she got back.

Instead, I loaded 3 tournaments.  I loaded a 1.10 satellite to an 11.00 tournament, a 1.10 rebuy tournament and the nightly 2.20. 

I sucked it up in the satellite and lost it before the re buy period ended.  I didn't feel like re buying with the blinds at the level they were.  I was doing good in the 1.10 re buy with a top 20 stack with 120 left.  I had the dreaded hand and had the only stack larger than mine at the table go all in.  One would think that with so many examples of this hand being crushed that I would just lay it down.  Nope, I called.  KK held until the flop when his AQ got 2 Q's to match the one he had. 

That left 1 tournament.  I had been building a nice stack, and with 12 minute levels was never in any hurry to play big.  I cooked and ate supper with the family while playing.  My stack remained in the top 30 as we played down from 100 players left until we reached 50 left.  I started making a run.  Soon we were to the final 3 tables and approaching final 2.  I had around 25 big blinds left when I look at AKd.  There was one limper before me.  I raised from early position.  Big blind had a small stack and went all in for a little more.  Then the limper goes all in.  I looked at my wife and said this is my last hand unless I can convince myself to fold here.  The limp raise all in would usually push me off this hand, but this character had been playing pretty poorly for a while.  I called and sure enough he had pocket 10's, big blind had QJo.  Somehow he escaped any high cards and ended up winning the hand and taking over the lead in the tournament.  I got a small cash of around 8.00.  I played a couple of 2.20 super turbo's and lost both of them.  I then loaded 2 1.10 super turbo's and lost both of them.  I decided to try 2 more 2.20's and ended up getting a 2nd and 1st in those to finish the day up by around 10.00.

Yesterday evening after supper I got to work on changing out the seat belts on the pick up.  It was after dark by the time I finished.  The seat belts work and I didn't break anything.  Hurray!  After a quick shower, I loaded up some 1.10 and 2.20 sng's playing 2 to 4 at a time for the next hour.  At the end of the session I was right about break even.

I have been thinking of my upcoming trip to Vegas.  I am going to try to do at least 1 tournament a day and play cash the rest of the time unless we are goofing around doing something else.  Saturday will be spent at the sports book.  I have never bet sports in Vegas, but I am looking forward to it this time.  I will be checking Coach and Lucki Duck's blogs for some guidance that week.

Tonight I will have to prepare for our weekend trip to Kansas City.  We are meeting family to stay at a hotel, go to Ocean's of Fun and World's of Fun and go school shopping. 

I will more than likely get a small session of poker in tonight.  After my long spring and early summer break from poker, I am refreshed and ready to play, especially with the way I have been running lately.  If I can keep up the good run, my Vegas fund could be pretty substantial by the time I go out.  Possibly, to the extent that I could play the Venetian Deep Stack 1600.00 No Limit tournament that will be going on while I am out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment