Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Fudge Stix!@#$%

Day 1 of making 30 buy ins went worse than expected.  I played fairly tight (18 VPIP) over 1000 hands and got creamed every time I got it all in good.  The worst was on a table that I had gotten up to 10.00 on.  I had pocket 6's with a pot size bet in front of me.  He had a similar stack.  I called.  Flop came 6c8hQc.  He bet pot and I came over the top.  He went all in.  I had been playing with him for a while and didn't think he had anything more than top pair as I had seen him do the same thing on multiple occasions against other players and only have top pair when called.  I called.  He turned over K8c.  A club fell on the turn or the river.  I don't remember which.  My top was blowing off my head at that point and my middle finger was swiping in front of the screen. 

I knew I had him, and that's when i get my *** handed to me every time.  If I know I have someone right where I want them, I might as well kiss my stack goodbye.  It never works like I think it should.

I had a few hands get crushed with the call downs from the 4 7 off suit type hands.  I'm starting to wonder if it isn't more profitable to try to be a donk.  I had one guy go all in every time it was on my blind 4 times in a row.  On the 5th time I had A10 and called.  He had A3 and spiked his 3.  I shut down the computer and tossed it in the corner.  I was done with the sickness that was happening last night.  I waited to get the guy and Bam@!  Bye Bye stack!

My tournament didn't go much better but it was because of my own doing.  I had an 88 and 3 people were all in before me.  If I called I'd still have 19bb's left if I didn't get lucky.  With that much on the table I called to see AK, QQ, 4h7h.  QQ won.  Yep, shoulda did the right thing there and fold.  It wasn't long before the blinds were up and I still hadn't gotten a hand so I shipped what I had with 10 10.  Caller had 10 3 off suit to take my bounty when he got his straight.  It was only 7 bb why not call with 10 3 to try to collect a bounty.  I might have done the same thing in the same situation.  I wasn't too mad about that.

I now have 6 more buy ins to make in order to make a large deposit.  Time to go back to 2 tabling and tighten up even more. 

I don't know if I will play tonight.  I don't know if I can scream no 3 no 3 no 3 anymore just to see it hit on the river.

Yeah!  I'll Play. 

I am reconsidering the making 30 buy ins before I add a deposit.  It is a great idea, especially if I were only playing cash.  I still agree that I should be able to beat the game at this level before I get crazy and add more money.  I think that if I make a profit for 3 straight months, it would show that I can beat the game at this level.  What do you think Flush? 

I'm down for the month after yesterday's showing.  If I mix it up and play a few more tournaments and sng's and a little less cash, I could still possibly pull out a profit this month.  One tabling cash will be optimal for me along with a tournament or sng while I'm playin it.  That way I can really concentrate on my play.

4 comments:

  1. "I had pocket 6's with a pot size bet in front of me. He had a similar stack. I called. Flop came 6c8hQc. He bet pot and I came over the top."

    You called a poit size preflop raise with 66 so if your playing $4NL this was a 14 cent bet for you to call. Calling raises with pocket pairs will be a long term winner, but only if you can answer these two questions. What position was the raiser in? What is his AFq on the flop and turn specifically? You see if he was on the button or the cutoff you need to fold that 66. If he was UTG or UTG+1 then its a snap call. If he is blind stealing and you hit your set unless he too has hit something very good your not likely to get a lot out of him. The idea when we call raises with pocket pairs is to stack their ass which brings me to his AFq. If Villaiun who raised only shows 32% AFQ on the flop and similar on the turn this is another indication you will not get a lot of money out of them unless they flop large. On the flip side if they are 60% AFq on that flop and turn I know they are firing and refiring and money your way is almost a sure thing.

    " I had one guy go all in every time it was on my blind 4 times in a row. On the 5th time I had A10 and called."

    Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!! So it was on your blind 4 times in a row. Wow he took all of 16 cents that must have been frustrating. Do not make me come over there and smack you upside your head once or twice, lol. You need a better hand to call an all-in then to go all-in. What makes you think that the time you choose to call isn't the time he has AA or even QQ, Hell AJ for that matter. You calling with ANYTHING less than AQs is an error and it cost you. You lost that stack because you were in a hand you had no business ever being in IMO. Yes he only had A3 but you had no way of knowing that for certain. In the hand you were a gambler, you need to remain a poker player, not a gambler.

    "I still agree that I should be able to beat the game at this level before I get crazy and add more money. I think that if I make a profit for 3 straight months, it would show that I can beat the game at this level. What do you think Flush?"

    Like so many things in poker the answer is it depends. If after 3 months you have won a buck and a half, no your not beating the game and they will slaughter you at anything higher. Thgis is where earn rate comes into play. 30 buy-ins is not absolutely necessary, but then pick a number of hands you can play each month and then say an earn rate of 4-8 big blinds per 100 hands and if you can do that for 3 months then there is a good chance you will be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Flush,

    It's good to have some other perspective.

    In the 66 hand he was UTG, I was on the button. I didn't see his AFq. Is there a way to get AFq to show up on the HUD on pokertracker, or do you look it up while your playing?

    Don't slap me upside the head. I'm still learning to get away from 9 years of bad playing habits.

    I didn't call with an A10 because he was taking my blinds. I'm sure he didn't have a hand any of those times as he had just sat down. I was expecting to see a hand like J4. I do see your point though. I gambled.

    I really appreciate your responses and taking your time to try to help me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The slap upside the head comment was a joke, bro :-)

    The 66 hand you played perfectly. You tried to protect against a possible draw and lost, nothing you could do.

    I use the AFq as part of my HUD I have posted a screenshot of one of my tables on my blog. Go look at it. In Poker Tracker click configure then click configure HUD. Once in the HUD click stats and this is what I have on the right side.

    Player name
    Hands
    New Line
    VPIP
    PFR
    3betPreFlop
    fold to 3bet preflop
    New Line
    Flop AFq
    Turn AFq
    River AFq
    Att To Steal
    Fold To a Steal

    And since on merge you can color code the player boxes I use this as well.

    Green = TAG Above 12% VPIP below 20% VPIP PFR at least half of VPIP and postflop AFq at least 45% or higher.

    Purple = Semi Loose VPIP 20% and higher to 24% and lower.

    Red = LAG VPIP 25% and higher and aggressive PFR and postflop numbers

    Brown = Loose/Passive VPIP 25% and higher but lower PFR and postflop AFq

    Grey = Nitty vpip 12 or lower

    Blue = Tight/Passive

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I'll be making some changes before I play anymore.

    ReplyDelete