Thursday, July 25, 2013

Tournament Win

Monday night I was itching to get in some more tournaments.  My semi-deep run Sunday night had me ready to try again.  This time I only loaded a 2.20 knockout tournament and the 2.20 100.00 guaranteed with 5000 starting chips and 15 minute blind levels.

In the knockout game I knocked out 3 players to get a little more than my money back.  As the blinds raised quickly I was soon playing for my tournament life.  I ended up losing before I reached the money.

The 100.00 guaranteed game was going well at that point.  I hadn't had to make any tough decisions as the blinds were increasing slower than I was increasing my chip stack.  I would fold any questionable holdings and wait for better opportunities. 

When we got down to the final 2 tables I was chip leader.  I continued to play cautiously, while looking for good spots to take down a pot.  There was plenty of time to wait on a hand as I had well over 100 bb's.  We made it through the money bubble and to the final table.

I started playing a little more aggressive, but there was one other player that started playing really aggressive.  We made short work of the rest of the table.  At three handed we worked over the short stack.  There wasn't much he could do. 

When we reached heads up I was a 2 to 1 dog.  I wanted the win and we had lots of blinds so I played very patiently.  I eventually caught a flush on the turn and doubled up through his trips as he had to slow down his play to keep me in a pot.

I turned up the heat once I was chip leader.  The final hand I had QQ.  He raised and I raised.  He raised again and I went all in.  He thought about it a bit before calling all in with JJ.  The board missed both of us and I won, collecting my 44.00 prize.

1 comment: