Thursday, October 17, 2013

Late Registering for Tournaments

The flu season started at our house the night before last.  I took yesterday off to stay home with my son and daughter after I had a dentist appointment to fill a couple cavity's.  My wife took the morning shift. 

It was a rough afternoon trying to keep a baby intertained and a sick kid happy.  Once school got out, I picked up my other son.  He said he was happy he finally got a day without his little brother.  I guess his little brother hangs with him during recess every day. 

In the evening my sick son and daughter both fell asleep.  I took that as a sign that I could get a little poker in.  I registered for 5 tournaments, most of them were late registrations as the registration period on a lot of games is now 2 to 3 1/2 hours.  I'd rather late register and take my chances than sit through 3 1/2 hours of re entry play, where at some point I will get beat by some idiot who doesn't mind playing any hand and rebuying over and over again.

I had a fairly deep run in the nightly 250.00 guarantee.  I got busted in the first hand of the nightly 500.00 guarantee when I got KK and an ace hit on the flop after I went all in and was called.  I made the final table in another smaller tournament but was busted in 9th when my AK met up with 99.  I went into the final table in 2nd to last place so I was looking to make a move anyway.  I lost another game that I made it close to the money. 

On the last game I had open I had made the final table 5th in chips.  It was only paying top 5 but had a good payout as it was a rebuy game.  We were all deep stacked when we reached the money and I had increased to 3rd in chips.  By the time the 5th place person went out I was short stack.  The pay jump from 4th to 3rd was quite a bit more than 5th to 4th so I was going to play tight trying to get 3rd. 

I started catching some hands and figuring out how to get some pots of the big stack to stay alive.  4th place finally went out giving 2nd place a good chip lead over myself.  I knew it was going to be a hard fought battle if I wanted to move up further.  I played against the big stack and caught him bluffing a couple of times.  I stayed away from 2nd in chips because he usually had the hand.  Finally 2nd in chips took a large chunk off of chip stack shortening his stack below mine.  The next hand I had QQ.  He went all in and I called taking him out.  The very 1st hand of heads up I got AK.  He called the blind and I raised.  He went all in.  He had J8 suited and hit a J on the flop.  I had invested 2.10 in the game to make 50.00, plus I had some min cashes in most of the other games. 

I have been playing 1.00 and 2.00 tournaments since I have been late registering.  If I keep posting decent results, I will add back in 5.00 tournaments.   

No comments:

Post a Comment