Monday, August 4, 2014

Birthday Fishing Trip - Poker on Sunday


My birthday was on Saturday.  I had asked the boys if they would like to go fishing with me and a friend and they were excited about it.  I told them I would be leaving at 5:30 A.M.  I don't think they understood what that meant so they were still excited.

Friday night I was getting the boat ready after supper.  I have a swing tongue on the trailer and a pin that drops down to hold it in place.  A few years ago I started having an issue with something getting in the way of where the pin goes through.  For some reason I thought it was a stick or piece of bark and had to move it out of the way by sticking a stick or a screwdriver into the hole and sliding it over.  This time I was going to take care of the issue.  I got a big screwdriver, slid the object over the hole and started trying to jab it through the hole.  Then it hit me.  After all these years of doing nothing, I realized it was the wiring harness to the trailer lights. 

I had really been jabbing trying to break the stick to get it through the hole.  How much damage had I done?  It was dark by this point.  Everywhere around is shut down where I could buy replacement wiring.  Did I jut ruin my birthday fishing trip I was looking forward too so much. 

After talking to Dad for a minute my head started to clear from, "This is going to be a disaster.", to "I might be able to fix this."  I plugged in my lights and sure enough, the running lights were out as well as the tail lights.  I turned the tongue to the side and was able to get the wires pulled out enough to see the damage.  Phew!  I only pulled a couple wires loose from some connectors.  Wait.  Connector's right where I was jabbing?  Somebody else had done the same thing before me.  I don't feel like a complete moron.  Just mostly moronic.  A little electrical tape and we were back in business.

The next day at the lake was amazing.  The boys had fun, we caught fish and the weather was amazing.  We called it a day around lunch time and headed back home.  My wife took me out to supper.  It was one of the best birthday's I have had.

Sunday, we had some things planned but I was not feeling so well so I stayed home with the kids, while my wife filled in for all of us.  Since I was home, I loaded some poker games.  I had a couple deeper runs but no final tables.  Then I loaded some 6 max turbo's and continued to get beat over and over again.  I got frustrated and played over my bankroll.  I ended up winning, but decided my discipline is not there to have that much money on the site, so I hit the withdraw button and cashed out all but 75.00.  I will use the 400.00 that I withdrew towards Vegas when I go out.
Money is going to be getting pretty tight here shortly.  I just bought a new pickup that needs some body work to be complete.  My explorer was just in the shop to be repaired and I have to put our minivan in the shop to be worked on.  We are also about to buy a house if everything works out.  We had lived on the cheap for 3 years.  Now, all at once, we are changing it up.  The house shouldn't affect our financial situation a whole lot.  Between our rent and the money I was putting into savings for a house we will be able to put that towards the house payment. 

The initial cost of closing and down payment, and getting the vehicles fixed is what will put the pinch on us for a while.  Then by next spring I hope to have a tournament fishing bass boat.  If I can pull all of this off, I will be living the dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment