Friday, August 15, 2014

Night 2 - Supersonic SNG's -2 2 The Dumbest Hand In Poker

The baby went to sleep around 8:00 so I had time to late register for the 5.50 nightly.  First hand I get A 10 and raise, one caller in the big blind.  Flop A 10 2.  I bet half pot and he goes all in.  I call.  He tables 2 2.  That was fun!  Glad I worked so hard getting the kids settled for the night to go out in 1 hand.

I couldn't call it a night.  Carbon started some new SNG's called supersonic.  They are 2 min blind levels with 300 starting chips, 10 20 starting blind levels and 4 players.  Only 1st place is paid.  I had to try 1 or 2.  I loaded a 1.10 and a 2.20.  I won the 2.20 to break back even. 

The 1.10 nightly had just taken off so I played that. 

Shortly after I started, I get a phone call from my sister in law.  She said that my oldest niece has been missing since 3:30 in the afternoon.  This is 9:30 at night.  She also said that the baby was in the crib but my niece was gone when they got home.  My niece is the most responsible person I know, so this worried me a lot.  A search and rescue team had been assembled and they were out looking.

I started trying to get ahold of my wife.  Her phone is not working.  Bad images started creeping into my head.  We had just watched a movie a few weeks ago called Devils Creek where some young kids that were out on their bikes were murdered.  Thinking of that did not help one bit.  I was just glad search and rescue did not have to wait 24 hours to do anything.

I was pacing back and forth wondering what I could do.  Nothing!

I hit the all in on the poker game with 9 10 when I walked by 1 time.  I was called by 2 people so I thought I was out and walked outside to smoke a cigarette and call my parents. 

While I was on the phone with them I got a call that they had found my niece 2 miles out in the country.  She was smiling when they dropped her off at the house.  That was all the information I got.  I was really relieved that she was o.k.

When I went back into the house I looked at the poker game that I had neglected the last 45 minutes.  I had a pretty decent chip stack.  I had won with 9 10 all in.  I grabbed a couple of beers to settle my nerves and sat down to finish the game.  I never got a hand I wanted to play and I ended up blinding down to 8 big blinds.  I could have easily waited for the bubble but got an AKd and went all in from early position.  I was called by a big stack with none other than pocket 2's.

Two fricken times in the same night I was outted by pocket 2's, dumbest hand in poker, everything can beat it but my hands.

AND NOW FOR THE REST OF THE STORY

I found out later that my niece was not home alone with the baby.  Two of her brothers were home as well.  Her Dad was getting home in a few minutes and she had the baby to sleep so she told her brother's that she was going to go running.  Cross Country is starting soon so she wanted to get in shape.  She apparently ran to the next town over which is miles away. 

Getting back so late still doesn't add up.  She should have been able to make it there and back a lot sooner.  I'm guessing that's not the whole rest of the story. 

I'm just glad she is back home and safe.

4 comments:

  1. glad, your niece is safe. to quote the movie GOONIES "kids suck" TGIF BIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCHES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - stressful night. By now you might know more of the story -- if there was more to know.

    I like hands like 2-2. One calls a raise with it (going on the assumption the raise is not huge and you have a good stack of chips) to do exactly what the player did to you. Yeah - you have to get lucky, but the implied odds go through the roof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see your point with the 2-2 hand. I'm likely to make the same play as those guys did by calling my short stack all in with it.

    I haven't heard any more about my niece. Maybe in a few years when she starts telling the back in the day stories, she'll slip up and we will find out if anything else was going on.

    ReplyDelete