Monday, December 29, 2014

Coaching Basketball

I'm back from a busy Christmas weekend.  We traveled to Grandma's in Colby, KS, then to Mom and Dad's on Christmas Day.  The next day we went to Kearney, NE to spend time at Holiday Inn with my wife's family for a couple of days.  We made it back home yesterday. 

I am more tired than before we left.  It's nice to be back in our own bed's. 

Basketball practice started last week.  I am coaching the 1st and 2nd grade team here.  The kids show a lot of promise this year.  We have a lot to learn and they are learning quickly.  When my boys first got into sports, I was asked to coach and reluctantly did it.  As my kids are getting older, I find myself volunteering when we sign them up.  I really love coaching.  I ask my kids every time if they want me to be their coach and so far they have said yes.  If they did not want me to be, I would step aside. 

Basketball is really fun to coach.  There is so much to the game and these boys are just learning.  Every basket made is like winning a championship.  Even in practice.  Last week we executed a play (passing to the post and shooting) and made a basket.  The kids were jumping up and down and high fiving.  If we take that kind of energy into a game, I will be one happy coach.

Last year was rough.  We didn't win a game.  We barely ever scored.  I learned a lot, the kids learned a lot.  This year I have a few players returning.  That will make a huge difference.  Last year was our first year in this league that allows 1st and 2nd graders to play.  We had all newbie's playing against kids that had played the year prior.  That may not help us win this year, but it will not hurt our chances. 

I have been working with the boys on a lot of things we didn't or couldn't last year because we had to learn the fundamentals.  We have a few kids that we work with on the side on the fundamentals, but we are able to focus a lot of our practice time on drills and play that will help us in the game.

Last Monday was the next to last game of the year for Monday Night Muck Em.  I got there late due to basketball practice.  I was the last one there and the first one out.  The players right behind me in points standing did not do well either.  The players ahead of me did o.k.  I still have a shot at 1st or 2nd in points for the year tonight depending on if they take a dive and I pull out a win.  I have 3rd locked in even if I am the first one out.  After tonight I will have 1 to 3 extra Benjamin's in my pocket.

3 comments:

  1. Wow - times change. When I was growing up we didn't play organized basketball that young. Softball started early, but basketball didn't start until fifth grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah dude that is young with basketball. @lightning WOW!!!!!! i didnt realize the early hunter/gathering societies played organized sports???

      Delete
    2. We started basketball and soccer in Ohio at 4 years old. I thought that was way too young. I get here in Kansas and we have football starting in 2nd grade, basketball, soccer at 5, tball at 5 and wrestling close by. They start reading in Kindergarten now. I can see the older kids getting burned out in sports earlier. My boys want to play, so I encourage them to do the best they can if they are going to do it. If they don't keep up with the Jones's will they be able to catch up later? It does seem aweful young.

      Delete