Friday, December 27, 2013

2014 A Banner Year?

I made a quick 4 1/2 hour trip up to my Grandmother's house Christmas Eve after work.  We ate and talked that evening then got up the next day, opened gifts, ate and made the short 4 1/2 hour trip back home so we could open a few gifts there and get ready for work the next day.  It went that quick.

This weekend I will probably just hang around the house making deer jerky, play with the kids new toys and play some poker.  Next week I am going to OKC for New Years Eve.  It's been a while since I have celebrated New Years.  This year I am.  2010 was a banner year for me and my family.  It's amazing what you can do with 25 days of vacation.  I am pushing for this year to be a better year than 2010 with only 10 days of vacation.

I was hoping to take a weekend trip to Las Vegas soon.  I have enough points for several free flights.  Now I'm running into a lack of time to do it.  I think I will just wait until the WSOP is going on, then go out.  That will give me some time to save up some money.  I have several fishing tournaments that I need to save up for now.  I'm looking at 2 - 3 thousand dollars between entry fees and expenses for the tournaments.

I would also like to take a family vacation this year with just my wife and the kids.  It looks like that isn't going to happen.  My wife's family wants to do a vacation.  I've been getting out of this for years, but this will be her sister's oldest son's last year at home, so it sounds like we're going to make it happen.  We'll just have to make it epic.

The thought of going on a cruise has been running through my head for a few years now as well.  My friend and his wife want us to go with them this year.  Take a number, it looks like we may already be booked for 2014.  I might want to grab a number as well.  There's just not enough time off to do everything I want to do.  Disneyland, Italy, The Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Appalachian Mountains, you'll all have to wait.  I'm losing control of the decision making in my household. 

Sports are already starting to take over, with the kids.  Basketball, soccer, baseball.  Next year we start football.  It's all fun to watch, and the kids enjoy it, but if your a traveler, it cuts into your free time greatly.

Then you have my job.  I'm required to be here Monday's and Friday's every other week.  That eliminates options for half the year.  I have to plan any travels during the other week.

2014 will just have to be banner in a different way.  I'm not sure what will make it so banner, but I will find a way to make it so.

2 comments:

  1. A year with lots of vacation possibilities sounds like a banner year to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it and plan on starting it out right!

      Delete