Monday, September 22, 2014

Crazy Non Routine Weekend

 
Friday night I got off work and did not have any plans for the evening.  I checked with the wife and she said I could go play poker.  She gets 10% of my winnings and socks it away for mad money.  With the way I have been running lately she practically pushed me out the door.
 
I arrived for the game early and sat down to relax for a little bit before the game.  When the game started we only had around 14 players.  This is football season, and there were some other things going on in town so I thought that we might have a small crowd.  Over the next 2 hours of the buy in period I was surprised to see people keep coming in.
 
By the break we had 31 buy ins, this includes rebuys. 
 
Before break, I was running o.k.  I got a few hands that caught and took them down like I knew what I was doing.  Then I called a raise with pocket aces.  The flop came 10 high with two suited cards.  I bet big.  Call.  Turn was another low card.  I bet big.  Call.  River was a King.  This guy apparently caught a piece of the flop.  I checked the river and he goes all in.  My gut instinct cried out K10.  I called my entire stack to see K3.  He had a pair of threes on the flop and called down to the river.  I was going to end up getting some chips from this guy.  I rebought.  The next hand I look down at AA again.  There was a raise and a call ahead of me.  This time I bump it up.  A short stack called all in, and I scoop a decent pot.
 
By the time we got to break, I had doubled my stack.  After break another player started gunning for me.  This was good news for me.  I had chips and could wait on a hand.  Then it came.  I had AKs and raised.  He called and another player goes all in for double my raise.  I call and the guy that is out to get me goes all in.  This would about cripple me.  If he had any pair we would be flipping.  I folded.  I would still get to see his hand and have plenty of chips to find a better spot.  He turned over A9o and won the pot with A high.  Fiddlestix!
 
I saw him start to go all in any time he had an ace.  Then I get AQ.  I made a small raise and he goes all in.  I call for about half my stack.  He has AJ and hits a J on the river.  A couple hands later I get AK and raise again.  He goes all in.  I call and he has A7.  I double up to a pretty good stack again.  I get JJ shortly after that and raise.  This time he goes all in and I have him covered.  I call.  He has K3o.  This is a different guy than the one who got me earlier.  K3 is apparently the powerhand I have overlooked for years.  I spike a J out of the gate and now have a monster stack and my chip man is out of the game.
 
As we were nearing the final table, I stole a few blinds to maintain my stack.  We finally reached the final table and reached the money bubble quickly after that.  On one hand, a player went all in for the BB.  I hadn't looked at my cards yet, so I just checked it down with another player.  There was an ace on the board.  The all in player turned pocket K's over and I turned my cards over.  I had the Ace.
 
The playing got tough when we reached the final 3.  One player was about out and we tripled him up.  I couldn't get any hand that was higher than 8 high.  I stole a couple of blinds but knew I was going to get called soon.  Then I get Q5d.  Not a great hand, but I went for the steal again.  This time I got a call.  Flop was 2 diamonds on a non scary board.  I go all in.  He thinks about it for a while and says he is on a draw but had to call me.  He turned over 10 8 for an inside straight draw hand.  He hit a 10 on the turn and I didn't improve.  I was pleased to take 3rd. 
 
In the middle of the game I had called an all in with top two pair.  Other guy had a mid pocket pair.  There were two suited cards on the flop matching one of his pair.  Another of the suited card hits the turn.  Some player that was not in the hand calls out the suited card right as the dealer turns over the card.  There it is.  He wasn't in the hand but called for a card that kept a player in as we are getting close to the final table.  I started to wonder what his significant other looked like.  I got a smile on my face and told the other guy nice hand.  My mood lightened thanks to Rob's proposed rule.  See here
 
I ended up taking this guy out.  He had used his only call a card on a hand he was not in.
 
That night I got home around 1:00 AM.  That's pretty late for me anymore.  The next morning I needed to be up and out of the house by 7:00 A.M. to get on the road for my 2nd grader son's football game that was 2 hours away.  Everything is a long ways away when you live out here.
 
We got back that afternoon and I took a nap.  When I woke up I started watching season 4 of Breaking Bad.  I felt the need for a marathon, so I finished the season at 4:00 in the morning.  Really late for me.  My wife let me sleep in Sunday.  She's the best.  I got up, made lunch and then went into work to make up for Friday's hours that I will miss.
 
I needed a crazy non routine weekend. 
 

2 comments:

  1. I laughed at your 10% rule. My youngest daughter is a bit of a saver, and occasionally I am short a little cash when wanting to play poker. I therefore borrow from the Bank of Erin -- with the promise that she gets 10% of my winnings. So the last time I borrowed from her, I took $100 and gave her back $138. Not a bad deal for lending your dad money and getting it back with 38% interest 24 hours later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started the 10% rule quite a few years ago. I wish I was on the other end of the deal, I would have made a lot more money from poker.

      Delete