Monday, November 10, 2014

Paying It Forward



Sometimes people amaze me.  A lot of times it is not the greatest of amazements.  For example, I see the driver of a car blowing through town at 50 mph in a 30 mph zone with children around - amazed.  Sometimes though, it is somebody showing an act of kindness, like a kid opening a door for a group of people entering or exiting a building. 
 
This weekend I was hit with a random act of kindness. 
 
Friday afternoon we were driving up to my parents house to go pheasant hunting the next day.  We had contemplated not going since we would be making the trip again in 2 weeks for Dad's birthday party and didn't know if we could afford 2 trips this month.  We have been getting hit with a lot of additional expenses lately.  It has us watching our budget closely right now.
 
We decided that we could do a few things to cut down on the cost of this trip.  On the way up we stopped at dollar general to get snacks and drinks instead of stopping at a convenience store.  We couldn't cut out everything!  That saved us a little bit.  We also drove our vehicle that gets the best gas mileage.  The tire pressure and air filter were checked before we hit the road.  We also drove a little under the speed limit in sections of the drive to increase mpg and checked gas buddy for the best gas prices along the way.  Needless to say we were trying to spend a little less money than usual on this trip.
 
We reached Great Bend around 8:00 and everybody was starting to get hungry.  We decided to hit the Burger King drive through. 
 
I ordered the kids each a dollar item and a value fries as well as my wife.  I ordered myself a dollar sandwich.  The total came to right around $10.00.  I was pleased.  We had just filled up the tank with gas, had drinks and snacks and now food for our 4 hour trip for less than 50.00.  I was hoping to make the whole trip for $100.00 or less. 
 
As we pull around the drive through, there is a pickup at the window and 3 employees in the window talking to him.  I hear him say "That guy behind me won't mind."  I didn't know what he was talking about, but figured if it was about waiting for my food, I really didn't mind.  He could talk for a bit.  It looked like he might have ordered something else because he paid again and then got a drink.  "No problem, " I thought.  Then he drove off.
 
The three employees were all still standing in the drive through window when I pulled up.  I thought about joking with them about giving me a free pie or something for taking so long, but didn't want to offend them, or have them take it the wrong way, so I decided not to say anything.  As I got close they handed my food out to me and said, "It's your lucky day.  That guy just paid for your food."  I was shocked, and if it had not been for the shock, I probably would have broken my budget for the trip and paid for the car behind me.
 
We graciously grabbed the food and headed on our way.  I know my sandwich tasted a whole lot better than I thought it was going to taste after spending another $10.00.  The act of kindness couldn't have hit at a better time for me.  I have been feeling down about how rotten my luck has been lately and wondering if or when it will get better.  Well it did.  Right then and there.
 
Thank you to everyone that goes out of there way to show an act of kindness, whether it be buying something for somebody you don't know without wanting any recognition for it, helping somebody carry groceries to their car, or an infinite number of other kindnesses.  You are truly paying it forward.
 
This specific act of kindness really touched me.  I can't wait until the next time I am in a drive through line and can make somebody else's day.
 
We made it to Mom and Dad's that night.  The next day the boys went hunting and the girls went shopping.  Well my wife and daughter went along with my Mother who did all the shopping.  My wife, staying true to the budget, didn't buy anything.
 
We walked 15 miles through fields the next 2 days - hunting.  Dad had all the fun, knocking down 3 birds.  I shot at 1 the same time he did.  Apparently that was one tough bird.  Even though he had taken 2 shotgun blasts at close range and hit the ground with a thud, he was able to get away.  Dad turned and shot another bird that jumped right afterwards that we did recover. 
 
We made the trip back home for less than $50.00, bringing us in under budget.  It will be a little tight the rest of the month, but I am glad we made the trip.  It was a lot of fun.  The weather was about perfect.  It looks like that may be our last decent weekend this fall, so I am glad we spent it outdoors.
 
 
 


5 comments:

  1. i love doing that shit.my fav is just randomly giving some1 a lottery scratch off tix . like on my p/t gig of sign spinning random peeps drop off soda,breakfast burritos. this dominos delivery driver even gave me a buck and a order of their chicken bites. no 420 yet thou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good stuff. I used to work on a trash truck and people would give us drinks, cookies, and all kinds of goodies. It always made the day a whole lot better.

      I have some of those fake lottery tickets I give random people every once in a while so they can win $10,000.00. It really makes their day. Sometimes I just drop one on the street and watch as somebody picks it up and scratches it. They really get excited. There's nothing like giving somebody the feeling of just winning $10,000.00.

      Delete
  2. Random acts are cool. I am contemplating a couple on my trip to Las Vegas next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sweeeeeeeeeeet. r u going to mail me some fried oreos/twinkies????????

      Delete
    2. Rub it in. Salt the wound. Going to Vegas next month! I just got back and want to go out again.

      Somebody get Anger a fried oreo! This poor guy is getting desperate, hoping for a random act of fried oreo to show up in his mailbox.

      Delete