Monday, January 20, 2014

Vegas Is Booked

I called the Riviera and was able to get my free 3 night stay over the weekend.  I decided to go that route to have some extra money while I am out there.  This weekend I registered for all of my fishing tournaments for the year, so the extra money not spent on rooms will be nice.  We will be out there Feb 21st to the 24th.

Mizike is excited about his first trip to Vegas.  He has text me several times with nothing more than "Vegas Baby".  It's going to be a good trip. 

I am on pace to reach my 750 SNG goal for the month.  It hasn't been extreemly profitable.  Right now I have played 475 games with a loss of 1.50.  I did clear 10.00 worth of VIP's this month and also got 15.00 so far from coming in 3rd on the SNG leaderboard the first week.  I am sitting 6th this week since I had to play catch up from not getting to play much the last week due to my rib pain.  If I put in a little extra volume tonight and tomorrow, I should be able to slide into the top 5 and claim some more bonus.

Tonght is the Monday night Muck-Em game.  I look forward to this each week.  We have been getting close to 2 full tables, which makes it a little tougher to make the money, but when you do, the payouts are that much better.  The money winners and the bubble boy get points that count towards a prize at the end of the year.  I hope to be on top of the leaderboard when that time comes.  There is some good competition so I will have to play my A game all year.

This weekend I was coaching 1st and 2nd grade basketball.  This is our towns 1st year to join the league we are playing.  The teams we played definately had experience.  We got blown out in both games.  I was still proud of how the kids played.  They tried really hard, we just weren't prepared for what we were coming up against.  We have a couple of practices this week.  I have some plans to fast track us to being a better team.  It will help having a couple games under our belt to know what we need to work on.

I'm really looking forward to practices now.  There's so much to teach these boys.

Sunday was a really nice day.  I had plans to play poker all day.  With the nice weather I changed my plans.  I worked on vehicles, barbecued, and went on a 3 mile walk with the family.  It was a terrific day.

We got some news Friday night that one of my boys is struggling at school again.  He was doing o.k. at parent teachers conferences.  Now he is writing letters backwards and out of order in words.  The teacher wants to get a group together to help him.  This came about the same way it did 2 years ago.  The teacher said he was doing great then a month later said that we might think about holding him back.  I was upset when we got the letter.  He has learned so much this year and seemed to be coming along really well.  Then this last week they threw really hard crap at him all at once.  Hard words, crazy math questions that don't make sense to me, and wham!  Here we are again.

I'm really mad at the school system, as we asked that they let us know what we could do to help at the parent teacher's conference.  "Oh Nothing", they said, "He's doing just fine."  We have been working with him on reading and on his spelling words and math homework.  What the "F".  I know he struggles and is slow at picking things up.  I was the same way at his age.  Dad was the same way.  We're wired wrong.  We have some type of learning disability.  The schools says they won't test for this stuff until they reach 3rd grade.  He may never make it to that grade at this rate.  Then what?

I'm not a teacher, and have poor teaching skills.  My wife says the same thing about herself.  We want to get help for him, and have looked at some options.  The options we are finding are quite expensive for us living in rural areas.  I'm sure it's not much better living in the city.  As a parent we want him to have every opportunity, so whatever it takes, we will do.  I just wish we could figure out what makes it so hard for him to read and write.  That is our biggest hurdle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment