Saturday, July 12, 2014

Gut Instincts Sometimes Work But I Should Have Used My Head


Last night I decided to play another local game that I don't usually get to play. I have only played there a few times now. 

In the first hour I saw the most ridiculous playing I had ever seen. People were raising 15 to 20 times the blind every hand and getting called every hand. I unfortunately did not get any hands to play so my stack slowly dwindled. 

Finally after an hour of play and some of the guys had done their rebuys the play started to settle down. I won a couple of small pots with unnotable hands. At the end of the second hour play got a little hectic again as the rebuy period was winding down. 

I called a small all in with 55. He had A3 and caught his A. In the next hand he raised and I went all in with 66. Another player called and so did he. The other player had A 10 and he had AJ. An ace on the flop had me reaching in my pocket for a rebuy. 

The start of the next level did not work out well for me and I was soon down to barely over 1 BB with the blind hitting me next. Then I was moved to the other table out of the blinds. 

I doubled up right away. Then stole a couple of blinds with mid pocket pairs. A short time later I got pocket Q's raised and was called and bet a k77 flop and was called. I checked the river due to his calls I thought he had a K. The river brought out another Q and I bet again. This time he folded. I'm not sure what he had to give me all those chips. I'm guessing a mid pocket pair. 

It wasn't too much longer and I got A3 in the SB.  I completed after everybody else folded. BB raised. I called. The flop had an ace and two suited cards. I bet and BB goes all in. My mind went instantly to thinking he was bluffing to take down the pot or he had spades. I instantly called. He had AA. 

Had I put a little thought into the hand I could have made an easy lay down and had plenty of chips to make the money. Gut instincts sometimes work but I should have used my head here. He had not played with me long but the hands he had seen me turn over had been good. He wouldn't be risking his tournament life without a decent hand here. 

It's hard to forget the hands you play poorly but I had made a few other good plays to get to that spot. I make a hero call there and he didn't have anything and I wouldn't have given it another thought. 

I played a couple of turbo SNG's when I got home and finished 2nd in both of them for a couple small cashes. Then decided to play in a 1.80 knockout tourney. I knocked 3 players out for .40 each and went on to finish 32 out of 190 for a 3.50 cash. 


2 comments:

  1. nice pic. where is that??????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is Antelope Lake in Northwest Kansas near Hill City. That storm built up in about 30 minutes and had a tornado on the ground. Luckily I was on the back side of it.

    ReplyDelete