Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Lesson Learned Teaching My Boys About Money



As the clock hit ending time yesterday, I was out the door.  For the first time in a long time, I was off work on time and did not have a sporting event, or anything planned for me.  Instead I had my own plan.  I was going to grab the boys and walk over to the fireworks stand that opened that morning.

When I walked in the door my youngest boy was right there.  I said, "Get your shirt and shoes on, lets go to the fireworks stand."  He started scrambling about, like he had just drank 3 Mountain Dew's and had 5 bags of skittles.  I walked through the hallway door and saw my older son and told him to get ready. 

They had waited a whole year for this moment. 

A week and a half ago they had made 20.00 a piece picking up several trailer loads of branches at my parents house after a big windstorm came through.  I had told them that they should save their money for buying fireworks.  I knew they had been to the store several times since then and knew they wouldn't have any money.  I thought it would be a good time to make a point to them.

I told them to grab their money.  My youngest looked at me with disappointed eyes.  My oldest smiled and told me I owed him money.  Backfire!  He had loaned his mom the 20.00 he made at Grandma's house. 

They had also both taken on a mowing job at our neighbor's house.  They have mowed twice and have not gotten paid, so I told them I would front the money, but not before I talked to them about saving for the things we will really want.

We hit the fireworks stand and both boys surprised me.  They had a plan, all on their own, to not spend all of the money they had just gotten.  They really wanted certain things but would pick it up and put it back, trying to get the most, bang for their buck, as some would say this time of year.

Myself on the other hand could use a lesson of the same accord.  I took 30.00 with me and walked to the cash register with 50.00 worth of fireworks.  I had asked my oldest son to borrow 20.00 from him until we walk by the ATM on the way home.

When we got home we blew up a whole bunch of firecrackers and smoke balls.  We finally went inside and started to watch Real Steel.  As it was getting dark we paused the movie and went back outside to blow off some nighttime fireworks and watch some of the others going off around town.  We saved some back for tonight and went back inside to finish our movie and go to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like they did learn a thing or two. I have three kids. Two can't even wear pants because of the holes that money burned in all their pockets. Save? Ha! The youngest, however, saves and spends wisely. A chip off the old block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that the 4th is over they finished spending the rest of their money. They did spread it out between several firework stands. They are both ready to start saving for next year. We mowed a neighbor's yard to earn some money last night.

    It's going to take some work with my youngest son. I feel like my oldest is starting to learn the value of money. Especially after his 4th time of mowing the neighbor's yard.

    ReplyDelete