Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Monday Night Muckem and Some Weekend Play




We had plans Saturday to go tubing at the lake, then go to watch a Niece and Nephew play basketball, followed by staying at a hotel in Hutchison with a swimming pool and hot tub.

When I woke up on Saturday, it was windy.  I didn't feel like going to the lake and decided instead to put a thermostat in the van to see if that would keep it from overheating.  I had to take off the engine cover, take out the battery and the air filter housing, as well as some wiring and hoses.  Just to get to the thermostat housing.  I put the new thermostat in and was tightening up the bolts on the housing and snapped a bolt.  It was mid afternoon already and everywhere in town was closed.  I had to put everything back together so I didn't forget what went where until I get a new bolt.  Then I have to eazy out the old bolt and put the new bolt in so the radiator fluid doesn't pour out when the engine is running.  The really good news is that the thermostat is not the problem.  I am going to replace the belts next.  Broken knuckles, I feel it coming.  Why am I so cheap.  A mechanic with the proper tools would be so much easier.

Anyway, where I was going with that, was my back was hurting after bending over the engine.  I didn't go with the wife and kids to basketball.  My cure was to drink lots of beer and play poker.  I made middle deep runs in a lot of events I played but no cashes.  Then I made a deep run in badugi, late in the evening.  My final table appearance saved the day. 

I started watching Orange is the New Black after that tournament while I was eating Corned Beef Hash, Eggs, and Fried Potatoes.  I must have mowed it down fast because when I woke up on the couch Sunday morning and checked I was only 15 minutes into Orange is the New Black.  I made up for it Sunday as I laid around and watched the first 7 episodes until the wife and kids returned.  Then I lost T.V. privileges as they took over.

Last night was our Monday Night Muck Em game.  We had 17 runners.  I had added on before break and still at break my stack was substantially under starting stack.  It was looking like an early night.  I made an all in push against a couple of limpers with QQ and nearly doubled my stack when they all folded.  Then I slowly built my stack, winning small pots.  As we got to the final table the other players started commenting on how quietly and sneakily I had built my stack. 

Soon there were just 5 of us left with 4 getting paid.  My stack was getting eaten up by the blinds but I couldn't find a hand I wanted to play.  Then the bubble was broken right as the blinds were going up again.  I was in the small blind and was dealt pocket aces.  First to act went all in for exactly what the blinds were.  Big stack called.  I went all in for 2 more BB's.  Big blind went all in for less than a big blind more and big stack calls.  They had hands like 10 8, J 9, J 10.  The board ran out low and high and my stack was now competitive with big stack. 

The BB won the side pot so we had 1 elimination.  The next hand he was all in from the blinds.  I had 87c and called.  I caught a 7 on the flop and it held against his K4. 

In heads up battle we went back and forth for nearly half an hour.  I would get way down then come back and he would be way down and come back up.  I made a big bluff with a 6 2 at one point and showed him.  The next hand I got 7 8 off in the bb.  He called and the flop was 4 5 6.  He bet and I went all in.  He insta called.   He had 5 6 for 2 pair.  We played a few more hands after that.  The blinds had us both down to 4 and 3 big blinds.  The final hand came with me holding an A7 and him having a K7.  I went all in and he called.  An ace hit on the flop giving me my second win in 3 weeks.  With that I will move up to top 4 or 5 in the standings for the year.  I went on a long dry spell after the start of the year.  It feels good to be running well again.

No comments:

Post a Comment