Friday, June 28, 2013

Dust Storm

There are 7 blisters on my hands.  It feels good to do some heavy lifting.  The bails we put up were extra heavy this time.  You couldn't even get your hand under the bailing wire.  We had to use hay hooks to move the bails around.

Last night a storm was approaching and we knew we did not have much time before it hit.  We had just gotten our first load in, and stacked, when we looked out and saw a dust storm ahead of the clouds.  It was spread across the horizon as far as you could see. 



We didn't know how hard the wind was going to blow.  At the moment it was dead calm and over 100 degrees.

The dust hit quickly and the wind picked up immensely.  I got in the car eventually as you couldn't breath without getting your lungs full of dust.  The dust storm lasted about 20 minutes and then it started to rain.



The camera did not pick up how thick the dust really was.

In the vehicle we were watching the temperature.  Before the dust hit it was 107.  When the dust initially hit the temperature hit 124 then instantly dropped to 95 and then down into the 80's.

The rain followed a little later and was really cold.  We were overheated and thought it would feel good, but it was to cold to stand in and it stung when the raindrops would hit you, due to the high winds.

Since it rained, we gave it up early last night and made it into town around 8:00.  Tree branches were on the ground under almost every tree.

After 2 nights of work, I am feeling stronger and lighter.  My pants were looser yesterday, and when I tried on a pair of 33 waist jeans to work in last night, they fit.  I've been wearing a size 38 but have noticed that they are getting way to big.  I think I could drop down to a 36 and possibly a 34 and still have plenty of room.

I have been weighing around 215 pounds, down 25 from my peak 2 years ago.  I would like to drop another 15 to 20 pounds this summer.  The last 2 days I may have lost a few pounds, but quite a bit of that would be watter weight.  If I keep pushing myself for a couple weeks, I could make it permanent.

No comments:

Post a Comment