Thursday, June 6, 2013

Set And Out

Last night we had a machine pitch baseball game for my oldest son.  Last year I thought he was a natural while he played t-ball.  The coach was pitching to him and he was hitting the ball every time.  This year his form is way off, and he hasn't gotten a hit yet in 3 games.  What happened?

I haven't worked with him.  I have been playing poker so much that I haven't went out to throw a ball to him or play catch or anything.  Soccer was over and I thought he was a natural so I let him go play unprepared.  Bad move.  Last night after his game we worked with him for an hour and a half.  We got his batting stance corrected.  Taught him a 5 step rule to use every time he is at bat, and had him go over it every time before I pitched to him.  Now if I see him doing something wrong in a game I can yell out a number and he will correct it.  I can yell 3 and he will know to put his elbows out, 4 bat back etc.

We also worked with throwing the ball in quickly from the outfield. 

These were the 2 problem areas that needed addressed immediately.  We will work with him nightly until his next game.  Maybe with the extra help he'll shine on the field.

After all of that and cooking supper I sat down to get my 2 VIP points for the day.  I was feeling a little crazy and loaded a NL table as well as a 2.20 knockout tournament.

The NL table started off horribly.  I didn't call when I should have and called when I shouldn't have.  Next thing I knew I was down 6.00.  The tournament was going well and I had knocked out 7 players and was in good shape.  Then I got KK right before the bubble.  I raised pot and was called by the other big stack.  The flop came AK10.  I went all in for a little over a pot sized bet.  He insta called me with QJ.  The board did not pair and I was bubble boy. 

I had a hand in NL that I ended up getting a little of my money back.  I was BB and held 3c7c.  Everybody folded except the small blind.  They called.  I checked.  The flop came 3 8 8.  SB checked.  I bet 3/4 pot.  SB called.  Turn brought another 8.  SB went all in for their remaining 1.67.  I had seen them do this before with air or a high card.  It took a bit of thinking but I eventually called.  SB showed AQ.  I held on the river.  After that I played tight and called it a night being down a buy in.  Between the 2 games I made around 1.00 last night and still made it to bed earlier than normal.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, cannot forget quality time with the kids!

    Can't wait to hear about how his game has improved over the next few games with you working with him on a daily basis now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we'll see quite a bit of difference.

    ReplyDelete