Friday, November 30, 2012

The Nice Guy Approach to Poker - Don't Be a Prick!

It bothers me when somebody starts mouthing off at the tables.  The little faces on carbon can set me off.  Especially when you are knocked out of a sng or tourney and the guy talking crap types in bye after they raise, you raise all in, and they call your trip aces and catch runner runner straight to take you out of the tournament.  Like they're so good.

There's no call to act like that. 

Internet tough guys make their money by tilting the other players at the table and taking them off their game. 

I make notes of these players and whenever I play them again, I usually get even by taking some or all of their chips. 

The nice guy approach is a money maker too, and you don't have to portrait yourself as an arrogant prick.  People like a friendly player at the table.  It makes the game more fun, and that's why you started playing in the first place.

People are less likely to play back at you when you you are making a move.  They might even feel a little bad if they take some or all of your chips because they are enjoying themselves and don't want that part of the game to end so soon.  They also don't feel as bad when you take their chips.

The other players that are chatting with you will kind of form an unspoken alliance, and you will start playing together to take out the pricks, without playing at each other.

This kind of play promotes poker, it is profitable, and fun.  The other pushes new players right out of the game.  It's not fun to be critisized for something you are trying to learn.  We all started because the game was fun.  We need new players to keep trying to learn, so we need the game to be fun.

1 comment:

  1. I play poker to have fun and hate when people start getting all pissy at the tables.
    I generally try to turn their fury to me so that I can make jokes and help the situation blow over.

    I want a fun joking table, one with a lot of drinks (and I'll participate).

    Do I want to make money? Yes
    But I'm mainly there to have fun first!

    ReplyDelete