Thursday, September 12, 2013

Magical Week Of Poker

Last night I was going to change the brakes on the van and go for a run.  Once I got home I got my tools ready to change the brakes, then went in to log off my Maximus game I had registered for.  It was a 2.20 game with 10 minute blind levels and 7500.00 guaranteed.  It was too good of a game to pass up. 

My wife said that I can change the brakes this weekend if I want so I left the game pulled up and found a few others to get into as well. 

The other games sucked.  I lost with trip aces on the flop in one, and played pretty horrid in the others losing in them shortly after.  I was still doing o.k. in the Maximus game, and had time to get in another set of tournaments.  I loaded 2 more tournaments and 3 NL cash games.

By this point I had around 30.00 invested in tournaments.  The cash games went really good and I got up by 3.00 on each of the tables after a couple hours of play.  I was getting fairly deep in a couple tournaments so I logged off those.  Once I got into the money on the Maximus game I struggled just to stay in the game and work up the ranks to get a better payout.  I finally went out in 78th place to break even for the night.  

That left me with the 5.50 500.00 guaranteed game remaining.  There were 30 of us left and 17 got paid.  I had gotten lucky against the big stack and caught a full house against his 3 of a kind to give put me in the top 3.  When we got to 3 tables I had figured out the big stack and was adding quite a few chips to my stack from him.  He was taking them just as fast from all the other players.

We reached the final 2 tables and he got moved to the other table.  I watched as a player on the other table worked him down and took him out.  I finally had playing room on my table and went to work building my stack.  I was in 1st when we reached the final table. 

I maintained my stack and took a couple shots at the short stacks throughout the final table.  When we got to 4 left I called an all in from the short stack with A8c.  He had A10o.  He doubled through me.  The next hand he doubled again through the new big stack.  He now had a monster chip lead.  Play didn't last long for the other 2 at the table.  We were heads up.  I had 40,000 chips to his 350,000 chips.  I was determined that I could come back from that as I was still sitting with 20 bb's. 

We battled back and forth and I had worked up close to 100,000 chips when he raised his normal raise.  I had 65o and thought if I hit with it, it would be disguised well enough to take some more chips, so I called.  The flop was 2 3 4 rainbow.  I checked and he led out a fairly large bet.  I went all in.  He called and had 4 2.  A 4 fell on the turn and put me out in 2nd place.

The last 4 times I have played, I have finished 1st or 2nd in a tournament. 



1 comment: