Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Single Dad Chronicle's

Man was I thinking this week was going to be tough.  My wife is out of town and I have a 7 year old a 5 year old and a baby that I have to be responsible for all by myself.  I know I'm spoiled by everything my wife does with the kids and the housework.  That's all being reinforced this week.

The house needs cleaned the dishes need done.  It looks like a Kansas Tornado hit the inside of the house.

This week kind of reminds me of Big Daddy.  The kids have had run of the house deciding what to eat and what to do for fun.  I need Scuba Steve.  At least we aren't eating meals of ketsup packets.  Meals have been my contribution to the family so the kids haven't got to pull too much over on me in that category.

So far the baby has been somewhat easy to care for.  She is exhausted after daycare and cranky in the evenings.  We cook supper while feeding the baby at the same time.  She's ready for a bottle and a nap by 7:00.  The last 2 nights I have woke her up at 8:00 to change her diaper, get her in PJ's and get her up to play for a little bit.  She isn't interested in playing and is still cranky so I give her a bottle and put her back to bed for the night.  She's learning to sleep through the night.  I try to feed her good in the evenings because I'm a heavy sleeper and if she doesn't outright cry I won't wake up.  She whimpers and my wife is there with a bottle.  I don't even notice my wife gets up out of bed at night.  I sleep through that too.

The boys show me their homework after supper and we work on that.  Afterwards it's everybody on their own time.  I logged into some poker while the one boy hit the T.V. and the other got out the Matchbox cars.  Around 9:30 I round them up and tell them it's bedtime.  I have them brush their teeth and get a drink.  They disappear as I'm still in a game.  I have to round them up again and get them back on track.  We probably should have done showers.  Now I'm responsible for the stinky kids.  Tonight we'll take showers.

The mornings are the most hectic.  Last night I couldn't get anywhere with poker and ended up playing more games that I also did nothing in.  It ended up getting late and I didn't get the diaper bag ready or the kids clothes ready.  This morning it was a mad dash getting breakfast going, finding clothes, making sure I got everything in the diaper bag, giving the baby a bath, and getting myself ready and out the door earlier than I ever leave so I can drive 30 miles to drop the baby off at daycare and get back to work at a decent time.
On top of all that the baby needed a second diaper change this morning, the ookey kind.  Maybe too many green beans last night.

Tonight we are going to a junior high football game.  I'll be out of my natural element with 3 kids.  Oh jeez, what am I thinking.  My hair is going to be gray after this.  I can handle just the 2 boys o.k.  They are old enough to do some things on their own.  Throw a baby in the mix and I feel like I'm at a loss.  The nieces and nephews were wanting to come over last night.  I had to say no.  I'd have been too overwhelmed.

My wife doesn't get back until tomorrow night.  We will meet up with her at the high school football game out of town.  It can't get here fast enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment