Thursday, February 21, 2013

Running to Lose Weight

The year before last I was at the science museum in Oklahoma City.  They had some scales as you walk in, so I decided to weigh myself.  It was not at all pleasing at all to see I was over 240 pounds.  I had maintained 220 for quite a few years and knew that I had put on some pounds. 

Right after that I started running to lose weight and get in shape for a 5K here in town.  I was doing good and got to where I could run quite a distance if I paced myself.  I got down to 215 pounds.  People were mentioning how much better I looked.  Then summer ended and the days got shorter.  I was running after dark and every night I went out, a random dog would try to take a chunk out of my leg.  Well they barked at me or chased me and I would scream at them and tell them to sit while I tried to walk away. 

It was ridiculous.  Every different route I tried to take there was a loose dog.  I gave up and hadn't ran again.  The plan was to start again last spring when I could run after work.  It kept getting pushed back and before I knew it, I was having nose surgery and couldn't run until my nose healed.  That took longer than I thought.  

When our baby was born I was in quite a few pictures, and in all of them my shirt was sticking out too far in the front, and I had a 2nd chin under my chin.  Where did that come from?  Why can't I see that without the picture?  I guess I just didn't want to see it, so I didn't.

Needless to say, Monday was my first day to start running again.  I ran again Tuesday because we were expecting a huge winter storm to dump a lot of snow on Wednesday and I knew I wouldn't be running then.  It snowed quite a bit Wednesday and even more Wednesday night.  Tonight I want to run, so I may go on a snow run. 

Now that I have started again, I want to keep it up.  It only takes a little time to run a mile, and right now a mile is doing a lot for me. 

I started this adventure weighing 231 pounds.  I felt heavy, tired, and out of shape.

With just 2 days under the belt so far, I feel like I have more energy, I'm breathing better, and I feel a little more light footed.  Yesterday I was sore, the muscles didn't want to work right, and I was sore.  Did I mention I was sore, but it felt good.

I should get some instant results this first couple weeks from dropping some water weight.  Then I will plateau for a while and gradually take off a little weight at a time.  I'm already weighing 4 pounds lighter. 

If it was just to lose weight I wouldn't be able to stay with it.  I enjoy running though.  I have made it fun.  I bought an MP3 player and loaded lots of running music to help me keep my mind off the burn.  I also have a small camera so I can take pictures while I'm running out in the country. 

This year I have bought a jogging stroller to take the baby out when she is older and it gets nicer.  The boys have bikes, and my wife has an MP3 player.  It can be a whole family thing.  We also have the 5K to look forward to.  I want to be the first place stroller pusher on Labor Day and break my record from 2 years ago while pushing a stroller.

To start with I have to run on the track at the high school.  My knees cannot take the shock of 230 pounds hitting the road yet.  The padded track is a lot better on my knees until I get everything used to the motion my body hasn't seen in a year and a half.

My first goal is to drop to 220 pounds by the end of March.  That should be a pretty easy goal if I run several times a week.

I have started to try to eat a little better sized portions at home.  I don't really snack too much so that's not an issue.  I do eat huge meals though and that needs to stop.  I will try to start snacking a little more on healthy snacks so I'm not as hungry when it comes to meal time.

2 comments:

  1. Good Luck.
    I'm hoping soon I'll be hitting the gym on the elliptical a couple days a week to add exercise and accomplish the same task.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutting out the late-night snacking has always been difficult for me. Sounds like you are doing the wise thing and taking care of business now rather than waiting until you are forced to -- as some of us have had to do.

    ReplyDelete