Saturday, March 16, 2013

Day Off From Poker

This morning we headed to the lake a little after sun up.  I made a few casts for a bass with a spinnerbait before hooking up a crappie jig to fish under the dock we drove to.  Dad started casting away from the dock right away and in a short amount of time had a saugeye at the dock.  It looked to be about 20 inches but it came unhooked before he got it in.

I switched lures and tied on a jig head and twister tail and started casting for saugeye.  Dad caught several more before I got my first one.  They were all too short to keep.  Then I had a fish that fought a little harder than the others.  I got it up to the dock and saw it was a keeper.  I tried lifting it up on the dock and my line broke.  The fish teetered on the edge of the dock.  Dad dove for the fish, almost falling in the water in the process.  My reaction was a little slower but as I went down I had to dart to the side to keep from knocking Dad on in.

We got ahold of the fish before it flopped back into the lake.

We caught several more short fish, then I caught one more keeper just over 18 inches. 

The temperature was 35 degrees all day with strong winds coming across the water at us.  It was a little chilly and if we weren't catching fish it would have been cold. 

The fish stopped biting around 2:00 so we called it a day and came back to Mom and Dad's.  I took a little nap as I warmed up, then we had supper and relaxed watching some T.V.

It's been a good day off.

2 comments: