Monday, May 20, 2013

Scary Ride Home

I made it back for my Great Aunt's funeral on Thursday.  After that I went to the lake with my parents and spent Thursday and part of Friday fishing.  The fishing was great.  We caught tons of fish.  I got a little burnt.  Friday evening I drove back home.  Saturday I drove to Manhattan for a wedding.  While we were there we had to check out Aggieville.  It has changed quite a bit in the last 10 years, but was still fun.

It was graduation weekend so we were not able to find a hotel in or near town.  We have looked for the last couple months.  There were no campsites available as it was the weekend before Memorial weekend.  My friends Grandma got us a place to stay at the retirement village.  They had a guest room we could rent. 

We drove back on Sunday.  At Wichita we ran into a storm cell that was blocking us from taking our regular route home.  There was lots of hail and it looked like a tornado was about to touch down at any minute.  We turned around and headed back East then South.  The radar showed a break in the storms and it looked like we could get through.  As we headed South the storms continued to build.  Every town we drove through had the tornado sirens sounding.

Finally, about 20 miles South of Wichita we had to take cover as the rain was so thick we couldn't see what was out there.  I pulled into a carwash bay to avoid the hail and kept my eye on the radar.  A tornado was seen only a few miles from where we were.  The storm passed and we got through the first wave of storms.  The rest of the way home we were pretty safe.

It is a lot scarier being in front of the storms as opposed to behind them.  My friend that rode with us from Wichita was on his way back to Oklahoma City.  He narrowly missed a couple bigger tornadoes on his way home. 

Tonight I mowed and sprayed weeds.  Then I got to play some poker.  Nothing too exciting happened except for one player thought he had me figured out.  It cost him when he put me all in while I held pocket kings.  He hit his set on the flop, I hit a flush on the turn and got another K on the river for good measure.  I was playing with a full buy in so that helped greatly.  After 500 hands I was up 2.54. 

2 comments:

  1. I was driving from Chicago to central Illinois late last night. The rain was so think I can't believe I was able to keep driving, although at a greatly reduced speed. I was just waiting for the hail to start ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it was just rain and you made it o.k.

    ReplyDelete