Monday, August 26, 2013

Got a Short Run In Tonight and My Weight Loss Plan

There was a lot of stuff going on after work tonight.  Since I'm done making excuses I decided to run after dark.  I thought about driving to the track but didn't want to so I decided to try a new route, in an effort to avoid being bitten by dogs. 

I started out heading down the dirt road at the edge of town.  There were no street lights and a decent sized bark was coming from a block or two down the road so I turned and ran the opposite direction.  I made it all the way through town and started to head out in the country when I heard a train coming.  As I did I thought I saw the glare from eyeballs in the weeds beside the road.

My first thought was I didn't have any lights shining so it must be a reflection off something else.  As the train started to pass I noticed the glare start bouncing towards me.  Right then I realized I was about to get trampled by a deer.  He saw me at the same time.  He did a 180 and headed back towards the train.  I didn't hear a splat, maybe he turned before he ran into it.

I decided that was a close enough call for this evening and ran back into town.  I thought about running into town but each street that I went past I remembered a dog that wanted to eat me from a couple years ago.  Me running in town after dark is a bad idea.  Even in the daylight, it's still risky.  I see other people running all the time.  Do dogs not raise their hackles and run at them.

I followed the same route back to the house glad I didn't get trampled or chewed on.  I may take a walk tomorrow to find a route without dogs.  The bad thing is that may not work since a lot of dogs are not on leashes or fenced up and the ones that are fenced up can easily jump the fence.  I've had dogs come at me from 2 blocks away.

If mace was less expensive I would carry and use it each time I ran.

While I was running I had my running app going.  It tracked my route and kept track of my pace and my mileage.  I ran 1.25 miles.  It says I burned 200 calories. 

When I got into the house I decided to do some research to see how many calories I need to burn to lose the weight I want to lose.

It was a little discouraging to see that you should not try to lose more than 2 pounds a week.  I also figured my BMR and how many calories I need to burn to lose the 2 pounds per week.

From the calculations I would have to stop eating completely and run 10 miles per day.  Maybe I figured that up wrong.  It was alarming to calculate how many calories I consume per day. 

Today was a light day and I consumed close to 2500 calories.  Most days I would not be surprised if my calorie intake was closer to 6000.  I didn't eat supper and I ate a light lunch.  Plus I drank water all day.  Water is my normal fluid choice.

I do eat breakfast every morning as that is supposed to start your metabolism process earlier.

If I run/walk 5 miles per day and watch my calorie intake so that I stay around 2500 calories I should be able lose 2 pounds per week.  That would be 8 pounds in 4 weeks.  That's a little shy of 10 or even 12 pounds.  With that much exercise my BMR should increase possibly help me get to my goal weight of 210 pounds in 4 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. 6000 calaories a day seems like a lot -- certainly something that can be managed. In my earlier days I concentrated mostly on the quality of what I ate -- substituting raw veggies for snacks, staying away from fatty foods. If you are eating in a healthy manner and exercising, weight should start adjusting.

    I always loved to eat and could never "diet" where I was eating little. By subbing in low fat, high fiber foods, I would have to wait some time before it all kicked in. Then once it did -- boom, the pounds melted off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks lightning, I will be subbing some good foods for some of the bad ones now that I have paid attention to the nutritional details.

    ReplyDelete