Friday, April 5, 2013

Losing Faith in the Game

The last 2 nights I have quit at the absolute worst times, as I was down 10.00 in NL both nights.  I was only ahead at 1 point last night and that was for a few milliseconds.  I'm playing horrible and need to concentrate on playing better.  10.00 was the most I was down either night and I quit at that point.  I probably should have quit before or after that, but that is the time I had set to be done.  It just happened that I took a big hit both nights right as I was getting ready to quit.  I even remember the hands.  Last night it was another dollar lost as some guy goes all in on a A high flop.  I had KK and couldn't justify calling in that spot against that player.  So I would have only been down 9.00 which was still my low for the night before the last hand.

It would have taken hours to get some of that back and I didn't feel like playing NL any longer.

It is aggrevating having players hit and run all the time.  They do that, then half the table leaves destroying the dynamics of the table.  I am constantly having to close and move to new tables in order to keep playing. 

It also astounds me at the number of times players that play 75%+ of all hands hit with their junk cards when you have a good starting hand.  Is loose passive at all profitable for these players.

Last night I let my cards ride too long and ended up getting caught by the river, trying to string a player along when I hit the nut flop.  The turn and river would change the hand and it seemed they always had the exact cards they needed to win.  Frustrating.

After giving up on NL I decided to play SNG's.  They were slow filling up but I got several of them going.  By the end of the night, I did nothing in those and lost even more money.  I thought in 1 I would do o.k.  There was a guy going all in every hand.  I waited for the right cards and called for a double up.  I waited again and the next 4 times I lost to his all in and was taken out of the game. 

I need to keep my emotions in check.  That stuff is going to happen and there's nothing I can do about it but try to get in with the best hand and hang on.  It sucks when someone relies on luck and is lucky.  I can't rely on luck as my luck kind of stinks.  

Time to study more.

It seems to me that gambler's are rewarded kindly on the site, while grinders are not gifted anything and nobody is making money except the house.

4 comments:

  1. You might not want any advice from me because I am still early in my NL cash education process, but perhaps I may still be able to be of some help with what I have to say.

    First off on the top right side of your blog where you have your progress bar it states your current bankroll at $162.74 and beginning April bankroll at $191.77. Above the progress bar it says $10NL. Why are you playing $10NL when you started the month with less than 20 full buy-ins? Are you working on a 20/15 buy-in system? I think perhaps you may be like me, although I could be wrong, but that you would feel more comfort and at ease with more buy-ins in your bankroll. Perhaps even unknowingly you may be playing scared or backing off where you shouldn't or the flip side pushing edges where you shouldn't because in your subconscious at the very least the amount of money in the roll and consequently the amount of buy-ins you have for it is making you do things at the tables to try to get those amounts where you want them to be and you are not in your comfort zone where you can grind at ease, comfortably, knowing a loss here and there is insignificant because you have the bankroll to back you up.

    Also, what are your numbers as for vpip pfr and also AFq on each street. I think we may be able to create a dialogue and perhaps go over some hands together along with your other readers if you would post some actual hand histories so there could be actual discussion about what your doing, not doing, sizing, and other aspects of actual game play theory based on these hand histories. Also post these at 2+2 in the Micro Stakes PL/NL category assuming you are playing 6 max or in their Micro Stakes NL full ring category if you're playing full tables.

    Finally how many tables are you playing and are you buy-ing in full or short stacking? Why are you playing SNGs at all? I think perhaps you need to cease these completely and I will give you reasons as to why I feel this way.

    1. cash games and SNGs you must approach differently. If you are using one to guide you in the other I feel it may harm one of your games. Whether the harm comes to cash or SNG would be determined later.

    2. You are undoubtedly using your bankroll for both cash and SNG and this is something I feel you should not do. While it is true I utilize my own bankroll for cash games and MTTs, the amount I spend on MTTs on a typical night is barely $4 so because of that sole fact I can use one bankroll for both, but in your case you might be asking for trouble.

    3. Are SNGs a good choice for your style of play. If you are a patient TAG type and if I am correct in my assumption that the SNGs you're playing are the 7 minute blind variety, this fact and the patient TAG style are not a good mixture.

    4. Risk vs reward. Let the numbers do the speaking. If we assume that playing these SNGs you can expect to obtain and sustain a 10-15% ROI then lets go in the middle and say a 12% ROI is sustainable for you over the long term and let us further assume the SNGs are the $2.20 ones. For every 100 you play you can expect the following. $2.20 x 100 played = $220 in total cost x your ROI of 12% = total profits of $26.40. How many do you get in a night? 3??? maybe 4??? Let us say 3 so round numbers say that for 3 a night it will take 33 days to play 100 of them and get that $26.40 profit from them. The time involved each night for 3 SNG at least 4 hours. Would you not be better off using that time in grinding the cash game thus getting more hands played each night thus earning you VIP cash for point exchanges more often and more quickly? I think it's definitely something to think about.

    That's all for now. I hope you find some useful items in some of what I have said and if you ever want to get on Skype for some poker talks let me know. Who knows, maybe some of us bloggers could get a Skype poker study group going to talk theory strategy and help one another in the process. Play well.

    FlushDraww

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy answer: poker is rigged. : o )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys.

    Flush. I guess I should change my meter to be more clear. I am still playing 4.00 NL. My goal is to reach 400.00 so that I can play 10.00 NL.

    I am buying in with a full stack now. I am also playing between 4 and 6 tables depending on how well I can concentrate on the other players.

    My VPIP since March 1st, 20000 hands is 22.3. PFR is 10.72. Flop AFq is 46.12, Turn AFq is 45.58, River Afq is 49.39.

    As far as SNG's go. I think your right on the money with them. That is about my average monthly profit. I still play them because that is the only thing I show profit on month after month. So far since I switched to NL I have not shown a profit on it. I know I'm getting close. This month I've only played the 3 games that I played last night. I've pretty much devoted myself to learning and beating NL.

    I will start posting some hands I have questions on, either on here or 2+2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I,m all but retired from online, I find it too hard to try and make money. I think with so many people using tracker software, huds and the like, and theres software for tracking down the looser players it all adds up to online being a hell of alot harder work than it was a few years ago. I think if people can,t make min wage long term from it it should be looked as either a training aid or a hobby. I,ll dip in for sit and go,s now and then, but the thought of grinding for hours turns me off.

    ReplyDelete