Sunday, April 21, 2013

Should I Bet the Flop Here?

This was a very aggressive table as you can see by the number of calls I got when 3 betting.  With the ace hitting the flop I figured somebody had to have an ace but I had outs with any heart and possibly one of the 2 kings left.   

Revolution Gaming Network - $0.04 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BB): $2.62
UTG (UTG): $1.63
BTN (BTN): $3.82
SB (SB): $6.03

SB posts SB $0.02, Hero posts BB $0.04

Dealt to Hero:  KhKs

UTG raises to $0.08, BTN calls $0.08, SB calls $0.06, Hero raises to $0.48, UTG calls $0.40, BTN calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40

Flop ($1.92, 4 players):   2hAh7h
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG raises to $1.15, fold, SB calls $1.15, Hero raises to $2.14, SB calls $0.99

Hero shows KhKs
 (One Pair, Kings)
(Pre 59%, Flop 36%, Turn 24%)

UTG shows  Ac5s
(One Pair, Aces)
(Pre 24%, Flop 3%, Turn 0%)

SB shows  2d2s
(Three of a Kind, Twos)
(Pre 17%, Flop 61%, Turn 76%)

Turn ($7.35, 3 players): 10d

River ($7.35, 3 players): 4d

SB wins $1.85

SB wins $5.01

2 comments:

  1. Several points to touch on here not the least of which is this:

    Hero (BB): $2.62
    UTG (UTG): $1.63
    BTN (BTN): $3.82
    SB (SB): $6.03

    Why are you not sitting with a full stack? Why do you not have the poker site set to auto top your stack if it falls a single big blind from the max buy-in???

    Second is this:

    Flop ($1.92, 4 players): 2hAh7h
    SB checks, Hero checks, UTG raises to $1.15, fold, SB calls $1.15, Hero raises to $2.14, SB calls $0.99


    How can UTG raise if he is the first to bet??? Or is this a simple error in wording? Let us assume he was the first to bet. Why are you raising?? What was you actual reasoning for the raise all-in?? Was it the monster draw and a semi-bluff? You need to bet this flop. You checking this scream one of two things. You afraid someone flopped a flush which will happen only once every 118 times or your afraid of the ace. If you bet and say even only half pot you represent the ace and it is possible you get Mr top pair with only a 5 kicker to lay this down cleanly on the flop. Betting there is at least the chance you will get him to fold. No SB flopped a set and he checked. If you had bet and Mr A5 folds SB may just call here as he may indeed be afraid of the flush. A 90 cent bet if SB just calls and presumedly checks the turn gives you the opportunity to check the turn behind him thus giving you a free card.

    Also if you bet this flop for say 90 cents then one of the others shoves all-in then you can reevaluate what you wish to do and also put them on a range of what they might have and then make an informed decision from that point. For example if one of the Villains has a very low flop AFq over a reasonable sample size then it's a foregone conclusion he has something big. Flopped 2 pair, a set, or even a 118-1 flopped flush.... it does happen. If you were to decide that that someone very likely has a set in this situation you could then make a much more informed decision about whether or not to call taking into consideration any counterfeited outs you might or might not have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my auto rebuy set now. I was manually adding chips at this time. I was going over my past hands for KK when I saw this hand and questioned my play on it. This was from a while back.

    UTG would be 3rd to act after the flop. He would have bet not raised. This is pokertracker's hand history.

    I'm not sure why at the time I raised all in. I must have figured if I called I was going to be putting the rest of my chips in anyway. I might as well semi bluff, with the check raise, and hope for the nut flush if I was called. Or, if they had been betting like that with middle pair or a flush chase consistently I may have made that play. I really think I just played the hand poorly after the flop.

    I like your reasoning on why I should bet here and your bet sizing. My play did scream out that I did not have an ace or that I was scared of the flush.

    I had to have known they would bet, given their high flop AFq and high VPIP. This was a while ago though so I don't know if I was watching that as closely as I do now.

    ReplyDelete