Friday, April 19, 2013

Should I Fold This Hand?

Tonight I played 900 hands and had a profit of 3.13.  In between sessions I had a good conversation with one of my neighbors.  He's led a really interesting life.  Just hearing about a part of it makes me want to do more with my life.

 He owns his own business.  I've always wanted to be an entrepreneur and have been close to jumping in a couple of times.  The older I get the less I want to take risks, but that is a risk I would still be willing to take if the right opportunity comes along.

This hand came up and I wondered if I should call.  With the type of bet he made it was easy to fold, but should have I called?

Villain had a VPIP of 41, Flop AFq of 36.  I was in the BB.

Hand#3301019840000958 - Rome (6-max) 19840 -- $0.02/$0.04 NL Hold'em -- 2013/04/19 - 18:38:53
Dealer: Seat 2
Seat 1: Villain ($7.32 in chips)
Seat 2: Elchapo123 ($1.99 in chips)
Seat 3: TimetoDime ($3.82 in chips)
Seat 10: Hero ($4.24 in chips)
Seat 3: posts small blind $0.02
Hero: posts big blind $0.04
Dealt to Hero [Qs,Qd]
Villain: calls $0.04
Seat 2: folds
Seat 3: folds
Hero: raises to $0.14
Villain: calls $0.10
*** FLOP *** [8h,4h,5d]
Hero: bets $0.30
Villain: is all in $7.18
Hero: folds
Villain: returns uncalled bet $6.88
***SHOW DOWN***
Villain: mucks
Villain wins $0.84


2 comments:

  1. When you bet the 30 cents that made the pot 60 cents. Villain pushes in an extra $6.88 for a 60 cent pot..... How many times have you seen players that don't know how to bet and when they bet large they have it the goods? Were you correct to fold?

    He has a 36% VPIP and he open limped. Pocket pairs are definitely within his range such as 44, 55, 88 so wouldn't 67s, 45s, and even unsuited connectors such as 67o and 45o. Were you correct to fold?

    His flop AFq was only 36. So only 36 times out of 100 does he make an aggressive move on the flop such as bet or raise. How many of those times was it a continuation bet? Maybe half?? If so then only 1/5th the time, 20 times out of 100.... one time out of 5, that he has the opportunity to do so on the flop does he do something besides call or fold. Were you correct to fold?

    How many times have you called a large bet like this with an overpair just to find out they hit a great flop and you were hurtin big time? Were you correct to fold?

    So you tell me Mirk....... Were you correct to fold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man. I thought I was correct to fold. There was a small chance he had a flush draw or an over pair himself, or an A8, but more than likely he had a better hand than me and wanted to push me out of the pot if I was on a draw. Due to his lack of aggressiveness over 600 hands, as Flush would say, "When he bets big, get out of the hand."

    ReplyDelete