Thursday, April 25, 2013

Lucky Break


Last night I got off work at 5:00.  That has been a rarity for me.  Another rarity was that I decided to play poker all night.  I started off horribly.  Aces cracked, flopped straights beaten by a drawn flush, etc.  Nobody would fold, and when I had the goods I was getting outdrawn every single time. 

I took a break to cook supper and looked to see how bad it was.  I was down over 5 buy ins.  After supper, I decided that I didn't want to go down any more and I wasn't getting that money back today so I searched for a good tournament to sit in, since I haven't played a tournament at all this month.  There was a 5.00 knockout tournament starting. 

My luck changed in the tournament.  My good hands started holding and I was taking people out collecting bounties.  Towards the end I was 2nd chip leader and played big stack poker, opening up my range and calling or raising attempted bluffs or attempted blind steals.  I was able to take a couple people out with hands that I did not think were good.

On the final two tables my cards cooled way down and I pretty much stayed out of most hands waiting for cards that never came.  On the final table I eventually had to push with mid pair and was called by AK.  The A and another A and a K hit on the flop.  My lucky streak finally ended.

With the NL games, I think I am going to start doing what FlushDraww is doing and set a mandatory break if I get down by a certain amount.  That will do a couple things for me.  If I am tilted, I may recognize it and decide not to play any more.  It will give me a chance to review the hands I have played and see if I am playing bad or not.  It may also be enough time that the players that have been getting me will get off the tables, or I can get a better seat against them.

My mandatory break will be a 1/2 hour and will happen if I get down by 2 buy ins.

2 comments:

  1. Two things. First, how much did the tournament get you, you did not say,

    Second, the flopped straights and draws not folding. Say you flop a straight what portion of the pot are you betting? Suppose there are flush draws... what portion are you betting? Remember if the flop a flush draw its a 4-1 shot for them to hit on each street, but only 2-1 overall. If I flop a straight and there are flush cards out there I am betting pot size. They stay with me and many times I will ram and jam the turn making it very costly to chase it down for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I miss that part. It was around 74.00 including the knockouts.

    I did a pot size bet on the flop. A suited card fell on the turn to only have 2 on the board. He bet larger than pot and I jammed it. He had a flush draw and straight draw. If he hit his straight I'd still have him. But he hit his flush. Can't do much more than that. It'll turn around again. It just sucks knowing that you have the best hand and still know your going to lose.

    ReplyDelete